November 16th, 2011
JLed’s newest mini series, featuring the 12 animals from the Chinese Zodiac are quickly disappearing in store and online. Produced by Play Imaginative, the Chinese Zodiac mini series comes packaged in window boxes, so you can choose your birth year animal! Each figure is interpreted in Ledbetter’s signature style and each is quite charming, if you ask me. We have already sold out of some and others are running low in stock, so grab your animal before it goes!
And for a little fun, I thought I’d put a poll in today’s post, since JLed has produced a lot of characters in his time as a toy designer.
November 15th, 2011
It’s my birthday today and what I really was hoping for was cupcakes to rain from the sky. Instead, I got regular rain… but I thought I should share in the birthday joy by holding a giveaway on the blog! Today we are giving away two Uglydoll Windups! I received a few of these for my birthday and loved them, so I know you will too. To enter, leave a comment on this post with your top three birthday presents you’ve either received in the past or hope to receive. If one or more of the items on the list is an art toy, you’ll be entered twice in the giveaway. Woohoo! Windups will be chosen at random and so will the winner!
November 14th, 2011
It’s always interesting to see what toys are in the collections of artists who design toys themselves. Today we are giving you a look at MCA’s collection from his studio in Massachusetts. MCA has been around as a collector and toy designer for awhile now, so it was no surprise he has an extensive collection of art toys, including many that he’s designed himself.
This last image is my favorite! Have a closer look and see if you can spot some of the awesome pieces in here. I especially like the KAWS ones!
Let us know if you’d like us to visit any artists in particular!
November 10th, 2011
I recently took a trip to Lowell, MA to check out Eyeformation’s studio space for Studio Miners. Eyeformation, is Frank Casazza and his artwork consists of bold lines and oftentimes bright, happy colors. His characters bring a smile to your face, featuring wide eyes and matching smiles. It’s hard not to get a bit giddy and lose yourself in a world of mustached trees and fluffy clouds. I felt very fortunate to be in Eyeformation’s studio, especially when he mentioned he’s been working on creating a DIY toy. We’ve seen ice cream come to life in 3D before. Buff Monster’s inflatable ice cream and Don Gelato from the Acid Sweeties series surely melted our hearts, but this fat little swirl of an ice cream will be a happy new spin on sweet treats in the vinyl and art world! And in the meantime, if you’re hungry for something sweet, why not grab one of Heidi Kenney’s figures, like this Plush Ice Cream Sandwich or a Yummy Donut! What food would you like to see as a figure?!
A plush figure of the same ice cream character
The prototype fresh from the 3D printer (don’t worry – he’ll be smoothed out by the time he hits the shelves!)
Plush ice cream enjoying a dip in the work-in-progress packaging for the DIY figure
November 9th, 2011
- JLed’s Piggy Banks – produced by Play Imaginative. Limited edition in Pink or Blue. – It’s a tough world out there, so saving your pennies might as well be more fun! We’ve been waiting for these since we saw JLed’s Holiday character in his Finders Keepers series.
- Dunny 3″ Crusty – Frank Kozik strikes again with his smorkin’ and boozin’ rough and tough characters. This time, he’s getting you geared up for the holiday season with a crusty snowman, happy to celebrate the winter in some seedy dive bars to stay warm. And watch out for his bodily challenged chase who has fallen victim to climate change.
- Wee ninjas from Shawnimals – We’ve got Big Wee Ninjas as well as lil’ ones with all kinds of personalities, like Zombie and Aqua. I don’t know about you, but every time we see the Pocket Wee Ninjas with that elastic loop around the top, we can’t help but wonder what a bunch of these ninjas would look like as decorations on a Shawnimals Christmas tree!
- Staple Design x Kidrobot Pigeon – Holy Cr*p! This pigeon is a stylized version of Staple Design’s logo, inspired by these dirty birds found all over the city. Don’t worry, this one has been sanitized and won’t be making any messes in your collection. Only 800 worldwide!
- Bent World Blind Boxes – From the ingenious and prolific toy designer MAD. Kidrobot and MAD have taken this line (originally released in 2007) to a new level, featuring clean and used versions as before, but now with the used versions sporting tags from MAD as well as a handful of his favorite artists, including kaNO, Marka27, Jesse Hernandez, Scribe, Pon, Brunson and Sket One. If you can’t wait to collect all 16 designs, grab yourself a case!
What is your favorite release of the week?!